December 1st! w o w. That sounds like winter! The seasons really sneak up on me- and especially here as the shifts are not very gradual. The temperature has suddenly dropped and winter is in the air- but green leaves are still adorning the trees and will not likely turn gold. A windy day will pull them away and we will realize autumn is gone.
I've been finding my way in the daily here with more comfort and ease lately. Finding that I am falling in love with the street life and the sweetness of some daily rituals: oolong cha in the mornings, riding my zi qing che down the tree lined streets, buying groceries from the caishi down the street, oh- and enjoying some seriously delicious foods with friends. Could mention other daily rituals that add a certain Shanghai charm- such as packed metro commutes, dodging spit on the bike, odd street aromas, and crazy dadi rides... it's all a part of the romance of Shanghai... Here's a picture from a few days ago of my neighborhood- see the green leaves still hanging on?
I hosted my first gathering here... Yes, in all American splendor- it was a Thanksgiving feast! It was a first for a lot of my friends here- but I must say, despite their Thanksgiving virginity, they showed up in with beautiful dishes and our feast was abundantly wonderful. We spared no indulgence with our array of pies, cranberry sauce, squash, mashed potatoes and even a turkey (which we had to special order for a very special price)! Not exactly local cuisine.
Other news from my pocket of life...
I had been frequenting an antique/ random second hand items shop down the street and playing around on an accordion there... wondering about buying a smaller version here when one serendipitous afternoon I spotted a beautiful cello! I pulled it out and it sang to me! Obviously I don't know how to play this instrument- but I have a teacher lined up and I am beginning to learn! I have some "guanqi" with the shop owner (meaning some earned respect/ friendship- very important in China) and so he sold it to me for a ridiculously low price. I'm in love. It's a beauty just to look at, and the sounds it makes just by a single note is mesmerizing.
I feel so blessed. What a strange and beautiful life this is. It's hard to sum it up at all. Eyes wide open. Alive alive. So good to be alive.
Here is a link to my photos- there are may new ones to see if you are interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/12923914@N02/
I sit at the moon-filled window
Watching the mountains with my ears,
Hearing the stream with open eyes.
Each molecule preaches perfect law,
Each moment chants true sutra:
The most fleeting thought is timeless,
A single hair’s enough to stir the sea.

- Shutaku ( 14th century)
Watching the mountains with my ears,
Hearing the stream with open eyes.
Each molecule preaches perfect law,
Each moment chants true sutra:
The most fleeting thought is timeless,
A single hair’s enough to stir the sea.
No comments:
Post a Comment